Thursday, August 5, 2010

We have some 'splaining to do

Ok people have written that we haven't updated in a couple days and I, Mollie---the younger Worcester sister--, take full responsibility.  That said if my big sister were watching over me as a good big sister should she would tell me to step away from the Lemoncello.  I tell you people this is better than crack (or as i imagine crack to be since having never tried it).  But man does it pack a punch!

So there's my explanation and now on with what you're really here for---the update.  Rome was simply indescribable.  I can not find the words to express what it was like standing in a monument (the Coliseum) that was constructed in 80AD.  Aside from the coliseum there were buildings and ruins strewn throughout this fabulous city that were nothing short of spectacular.  One thing amongst, all the other landmarks, that we HAD to find was "The Mouth of Truth".  This was the spot where Gregory Peck took Audrey Hepburn in the movie "Roman Holiday" (Laura's and my all time favorite movie) and told her the statue would bite her hand if she were lying.  Great scene!

I think Laura enjoyed my gaping jaw expression throughout the day as we came upon each new monument.  She had been to Rome previously and new somewhat of what we would be seeing so she was happy to see my reactions.

We only had one day in Rome so we squeezed a lot in.  The following day was a driving day to Montegrotto Terme.  My sister has been doing the vast majority of the driving--total rock star about it, she's been doing great---this was our last time to see the Toscana region as we drove through it, but I have to admit I actually slept through it (see note about Lemoncello above).

We get to our hotel after about 4hrs on the road and it is spectacular.   Hotel Eliseo in the heart of Montegrotto is a wellness spa and the rooms are quite spacious.  we even had our own little twin beds though I must say sleeping with my sister again after all these years has been a blast, we just laugh ourselves to sleep.  I didn't have too much seperation anxiety as only an inch seperated the beds. 

We got to the hotel around 2pm and it was beautiful out so we decided to indulge ourselves and go layout by their "Theraputic pool".  I get in whilst my sis made a few phone calls.  i noticed right away that people seemed to be staring at me.  Certain that they have never seen seen a vision such as myself (after checking to ensure everything was where it was supposed to be) I continued in to the pool and over to the jets for a water massage.  It wasn't until my sister joined me that she made the keen observation we were the only people in the pool without swimcaps.  Man were getting the stinkeye.  In our defense no one gave us these stupid little head thingys and they weren't being handed out at the cabana.  How were we to know the protocol?  Well as it turns out, we discovered later that we were supposed to have paid to use the pool, which is where I suppose the rules and proper gear were given.  Oopsy for the Worcester Sisters!

Nice dinner in Montegrotto and we decide to hit the hay early (no wine, beer OR Lemoncello) as we were headed to Venenzia (Venice) the following day.  After about as much CNN and news about the Pakistan floods (not to say we aren't sympathetic to this horrific event) we both checked our emails and drifted swiftly to slumber.

This brings us to Wednesday 8/4/2010.  Heading to Venice.  We drove to the ferry landing, about an hour from Montegrotto, and caught the passenger ferry over to this little piece of Italian paradise.  Coming upon it by boat was fabulous as we passed some cool ruins on another little island.  I could not believe the architecture.  Of course I've been impressed with every place I've seen, but there iis something very sweet about Venice.  I was struck with the dichotomy of Luis Vuitton, Hemes, Bruno Magli and other such high end brands nestled down underneath some of the oldest buildings. Great picture taking opp.  We did alot of walking and a little shopping.  Had a lovely lunch and wouldn't you know Lemoncello was everywhere!  Had a couple beers followed by this delectable Lemony concoction and feeling pretty good we walked some more.  We enter the Piazza San Marco which was simply extraordinary. As luck would have it they had several little bars with concerto's playing so naturally we had to stop.  This is where things took a turn for me. I don't know how many Lemoncello's I had, but suffice it say it was one (or two) too many.  I was fine until I stood up, then---not so much.  Walking did me good.  We came upon a Gondelier stand and decided it would be a great treat to see Venice via the canal.  AMAZING.

We had a cute little 22 yo Gondelier who was third generation in this vocation.  He was just darling telling us all about the boat, it's upkeep and of course pointing out many wonderful historic places along the canal.  Great experience and while I am sure this is meant to be a romantic adventure I was quite happy to be experiencing this with my sister, just as I have been in sharing this entire trip with her. 

We have laughed (alot), we have cried (a little) and everything in between. We have just been enjoying being together as sisters and as women.  While our Italian journey is winding down, our life journey continues!

Stay tuned....

The Worcester Sisters

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, Heyyy! Mouchio Gracious Mia ElMora!
    (There's just got to be some Italian in there some where!)
    That-a some nice story. And that-a "Lemoncello" must be some spicy drink...Ya THINK?
    It's funny when you know you're experiencing an event or trip of a life time how special it is and knowing how special it will continue to be for the rest of your life.
    Absolutely thrilled you were able to share it with each other. Can't wait to hear and see further details of things that you experienced when you get home as you re-live key moments of your journey together (at least the ones you can recall). LOve Ya Both...Now it's time to come home.
    We'll leave the light on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two have certainly made the most of every minute of this incredible trip...what an adventure. Now it's time to think about what's next (after you recover from this, of course) :)

    ReplyDelete