Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hello from Sorrento!

Boneserra Dear Readers,

The Sisters are coming to you from bella Sorrento!  I must apologize up front as we are at an internet cafe and the keyboard is not familiar so I may just wing it and hope that you understand. 

Yesterday was a driving day that turned into an adventure (I am sure no surprise for most of you)  We started out early heading south to Sorrento and made a couple of "little stops" along the way. The first was in a walled city that I have been to several times, but of course Mollie had not.  Monteriggioni  is a classic example of a walled or forted city although very small.  I believe that the current residency there is about 40, but low and behold they have a five star hotel and one of my favorite wineries there!  There is also my favorite hidden garden so it was a fun little stop!   We hopped back in the car and drove like the little demons we are and made it all the way to Napoli when what did we see?  A sign that said "Pompei"!  Well...what are a couple of adventurous gals with nothing but time on their hands to do but turn right!  We went to the ruins and spent about an hour and a half just wandering.  I am always amazed to see what came before us and the incredible architecture that is remaining.  I will never understand how these people were able to create such magnificent structures without all of the benefits that we have today.  Clearly not enough time to see everything, but it was a nice stop and gave a taste of the ruins.

We jumped back on the Autostrada and this is where we made our first (of many) directional mistakes.  Unfortunately, we did not realize that we had jumped back on past our exit to Sorrento.  We drove for about 30 minutes and looked at each other to say - "this feels like more than 15 km".  Of course it was - so we turned around and went back through the pay station....only to somehow end up going the same direction again!  After about another 30 minutes we had the same conversation - a little like "Groundhog's Day"!  We again turned around, only this time I was so flustered I pulled right in front of the biggest Mercedes Benz truck that I have ever seen (on my side) and some sort of car on Mollie's side.  I swear - there must be someone watching over us, because I am fairly certain that the appropriate response at a time like that is not killing the car, closing your eyes and praying that you made it through!  I am still not sure that is the appropriate reaction during a time like that but it seemed to work.  I am fairly certain that as we continued on, the truck driver was not saying "have a great day", but whatever -  we were still in business. 

We decided to get off the Autostrada as it had not been our friend that afternoon, and ended up on the Amalfi Coast drive, which if your nerves are already shot is not a good thing.  We finally stopped and asked a nice looking gentelman "sa dovey andiamo Sorrento?"  Of course he did.  I had to ask him to speak slowly, but did pick up the word "doppo", which for the record was not a personal reference to either of us, but rather telling us that we needed to go all the way back to Pompei!  No worries as it wasn't that far!  We got to Sorrento and finally had to ask again for directions to the hotel.  Neither of us could understand that one so we were on blind luck which low and behold worked again like magic!  A lot of that on this trip!

We were both so tired, but decided that we needed dinner so, we went down to the hotel restarant and decided to order fish dishes.  Mollie chose the king prawns and I went with the sea bass pasta.  I was giggling when I saw Mollie's plate coming with the eyes staring right up at her!  Little did I know that her hystarics were due to the entire fish sitting on my plate!  Fortuntately they did the whole deboning thing for me...Mollie - not so much!  She was a trooper though and after making friends with her prawns, we ended up truly enjoying the meal!

Today we did nothing, except for lay out in the sun on the Amalfi Coast and it was glorious!  We took naps, ate lunch, chatted, people watched and rested up for tomorrow which will be Capri and Ana Capri!  We are both looking forward to it.  Now we are off to explore the evening in Sorrento and hopefully have a little dinner- something that we don't have to introduce ourselves too!

Boneserra from the sisters until domani!

2 comments:

  1. From what I've heard- it sounds like you're just driving like true Italians. You know, blending in with the locals- and that's a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm faithfully reading every day...no posts since Thurs. What's up? :) Had an awesome 40th bday party today. We missed you. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete